It’s a tradition each year – I pull out a piece of paper and pen to make my New Year’s Resolutions list old school style. Somehow a handwritten declaration of your resolutions feels more committed than simply thinking them over, telling a friend or even documenting them electronically.
This year I was stumped. Lose ten pounds has been on the list for ten years, why would I think I would accomplish it this year. I had nothing.
Then in a flash of brilliance I turned my attention, as usual, to MMA and came up with my resolutions solely related to mixed martial arts in 2009.
Here they are in their unedited form – I believe they are a collection of commitments we should all make together as part of MMA nation in 2009.
- I will stop saying “Kimbo Slice sucks”. It’s obvious. On the internet Kimbo wins, in the cage Kimbo loses to guys they pull from the stands
- I will attend each and every GSP fight. Kimbo bad, GSP good
- I will not laugh if another Taekwondo judge gets kicked in the head at an official event. Once was funny, twice is a tragedy
- I will not pay more than $1 for any boxing pay per view event. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, good one Oscar
- If I’m at an MMA event and there is someone sitting in my vicinity cheering only for residents of the United States all night long, who then goes berserk in support of Fedor I will not say “dude, stop sipping the goober sauce”
- I will not throw punches at the gym in between sets of dumbbell press. I thought it looked cool until I watched someone else doing it
- I will not be surprised when a legend of the sport makes a comeback and gets beat handily by a young up and coming star in the UFC. The changing of the guard is happening, I must deal with it
- I will not say “I told you so” when Affliction’s assets are sold to the UFC
- I will not get angry when someone tells me that MMA is dangerous, brutal or barbaric. I will take the time to explain to them what the sport is all about
- I will wear an equal amount of Affliction and Tapout clothing even though the Affliction shirts feel like soft butter on my skin
- I will pay the price to have the best seats in the house for Fedor vs. Lesnar. I will be cheering wildly for Couture
Thanks to everyone at mmatraining.com and the fans of this website for making it a success in its inaugural year. We have had a lot of fun building this site for MMA fans, whether it was touring around in a private jet to catch Couture vs. Lesnar or working on our combinations at over 100 gyms in 2008.
Check out our site for the articles, the store for our merchandise, our gym profiles and our training videos to breathe in through your web browsers all that is the best sport around – MMA.